Thursday, May 22, 2008

Symphonic Band

My precious second child. His name is Joseph. But we call him Trey. He's nice looking. Smart. Funny. Athletic. Talented.

Sounds like an ideal kid, huh?

He's close. But he does have his faults. One of which is skating.

No, I don't mean ice or roller-skating. Although, I don't think he's very good at that 'sport' either. The skating I'm talking about is when he does the bare minimum and expects the highest result.

That.....he's actually pretty good at.

For his entire life, Trey has heard comments like, "Trey, you're so smart." "Trey, you're so cute." "Trey, you're so gifted. I love hearing you play the piano." "Trey, you're so much fun to be around."

And, at times, he's been caught believing his own press. But a couple of weeks ago, the unexpected happened.

Every spring, at the middle school, the band director holds auditions for Symphonic Band. This is the audition-only premier band at the middle school. They are very good. Have won competitions and have played in a couple college football bowl games. It's a big deal to make Symphonic. If a student auditions and doesn't make Symphonic Band, he or she will be placed in Concert Band. A very good band as well....it's just not Symphonic.

Trey auditioned for Symphonic Band, along with everyone else. He expected to make it straight away. He practiced.....some. But not as much as I would have preferred. He had the prepared piece down, but his scales were a little shaky. But he was confident.....After all....he's first chair.

He went in to audition and the rest of the family cleared out of the bandroom. He's like his mama. No audience necessary. But I hung back. And what I heard was not the Trey I know. He did not play with confidence. His tone was not clear. He made some mistakes. After he was through, he came out of the room and made it clear he wasn't happy. He knew he bombed it.

Results didn't come out for over a week...and each day I waited for his text. Finally, it came.

He didn't make Symphonic Band.

I had the chance to talk with him about it....and because it had been several days since the audition, he was over his initial unhappiness. But the good thing is....he could re-audition the last week of school. And he did.

Yesterday.

Trey has learned a lot through this.

He's learned that if he wants something, he has to work for it.

He's learned that life is not always going to hand him everything on a silver platter.

He's learned that being prepared pays off.

He's learned that practicing actually makes him a better saxophone player. (Duh!)

Today, the results came back.

He made Symphonic Band. And according to the director....he 'creamed' the rest of the kids who were auditioning for the ONE spot available.

Way to go, my darling Trey. I am so proud of you.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I LOVE the saxophone...I payed the trumpet in middle and high school and absolutely loved it, but if I could play a second instrument, it would be the sax. Congratulations to Trey...and you're right...he is cute! :-)