Saturday, January 12, 2008

Have you ever had that moment.....

....where you wondered...."What on earth was I thinking?"

Well, I had that moment today as I sat in a classroom of a local high school...taking a test that, if I pass, could get me provisionally certified as a teacher here in Georgia.

I registered for this test over a month ago and I was given some study materials the first week of December, so I've had plenty of time to prepare. Unfortunately, though...I wasn't exactly sure what to study. I had a textbook and I had some good information on different disorders and disabilities, plus I was aware of Ethical codes and knew a little about the Public Laws defining the rights of those who would benefit from an education outside of the general education classroom, but I haven't ever been a student in the classroom learning about Exceptional Children. This, I felt, put me at a bit of a disadvantage.

I wrote up note cards. I typed a 35 page study guide. I read this textbook and looked over the chart I had on classroom modifications for those experiencing a learning disability, mild intellectual disabilities, or behavioral or emotional disorder.

But I'm not sure anything would have prepared me for the test today. Wow, it was hard. Two tests. Each with 60 multiple choice questions and two short answer, essay-type questions. And it took me 3 hours. But I walked out of the school with a feeling of freedom. I'd done it. I'd taken the GACE in Special Education General Curriculum and I had no idea how I did. Not a clue. Not even a guess.

If I had to be honest....and of course, I do.......I don't think I did very well. And the funny thing is.....I'm OK with it. I tried. I did my best and I have no regrets.

I won't know my scores until February and until then, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Being a wife and mother, carting my kids to and fro and substitute teaching to the best of my ability.

Sometime in February, my score report will be mailed to me. And right after I read my scores, I will probably be back on the web, registering for the GACE in Special Education General Curriculum..............again.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

No matter what Jennifer, I am proud of you for aiming for such a goal! Kids need people that care in their lives...keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

I, too, am very proud of you, Jenn. You are an exceptional woman. You touch lives everywhere you go. The thing to remember is that if you didn't pass the test, it wasn't God's timing for you yet. If you did, then rejoice in knowing that it IS God's time for you to start this new chapter in your life! I have no doubt that this is your calling and that God will use you tremendously! Continue to be proud of yourself and your accomplishments! I love ya, sister!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I bet you did fine...
whenever my sister didn't think she did good on a test..
she did just fine...

Congratulations ...
and..
dang.. February?? YUK