Sunday, April 06, 2008

I'm being called a 'Teacher'

These first few weeks of my full-time teaching job have been absolutely wonderful. The kids have been great. For the most part, they've really tried hard and they've adapted to my way of running the classroom quite well. I have had to do some re-teaching of things....like, not getting on the classroom computers without asking first. Going to the bathroom and getting a drink of water 'between' classes....and not 10 minutes after we've begun. (big problem). Raising their hands when they want to speak. Not saying 'shut-up' to each other...(one of my least favorite words in our slang language).

They now have homework several nights a week and quizzes are a regular part of our time together. I'm not sure how much of that was being done before I took over the class, but suffice it to say, they are behind in both Math and Language Arts. A real shame.

Trying to get them exposed to some things before State testing has been a bit of a challenge, but thankfully, I have a lot of support at the school, and if I need anything, I just ask.

Still no word on whether there is a permanent job for me. Oddly enough, there is a surplus of Special Education teachers in our County, so no hiring is taking place. The school has let me know they'd love to have me there on a permanent, full-time basis, but the 'numbers' may not allow it. I'm still praying that the Lord will open the door for me at this school. I love it there. The kids seem to like my being there and the teachers have been phenomenal.

I start classes this summer at UGA and have taken two more certification exams. Middle Grades Math and Middle Grades Language Arts. I get my results at the end of the month and once again, I'm not optimisic. The Math one wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I spent a lot of time on each problem, making sure I performed each operation correctly. I didn't want to make any dumb mistakes. The Language Arts test was ridiculous. I'm sure I didn't pass that one...if only because I gave everything I had to the Math test.

And now, it's Spring Break. And I need the break. Working every day...preparing lesson plans, exams and homework takes a lot out of me. Saturdays are spent on cleaning and laundry, leaving little room for rest. Standing over the kids and helping them with their work has my back in a frenzy, so I've been told to wear shoes with less of a heel. That, my friends, is not an easy task. I have worn high heels for years. Almost every job I've had required me to look professional or in my Sunday Best at all times. High heels are natural for me. Problem is, I'm now dealing with kids are still shorter than I, so my posture has changed. So, I am now having to re-think how I dress each day.

But, God is good. I love going to work. I love being with the kids. I love helping them understand things like equations, Pythagorean theorem, and coordinate planes. Big fun! And helping them remember how a compound sentence is constructed is a blast. After state testing, we're going to bring out the Literature books and start some vocabulary and spelling lessons. Some of my all-time fondest memories of school! Spelling test. :Sigh:

In the mortal words of Archie Bunker...........Those were the days!

No comments: