Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Learning more and more every day.....

I've learned a lot these last few weeks.

I've learned that Middle School Math is not that bad.

I've learned that I have more patience than I realized.

I've learned that Grammar, punctuation, and spelling are very important to me.

I've learned that some children who suffer from disabilities want to be treated like they have disabilities....and not like every other average learner in the school. (Too bad for them.....they're going to be treated like they're 'normal' kids in my classroom)

I've learned that repeating myself is something I 'have' to do to get through to the children I've been charged to teach...and it doesn't bother me like I thought it would.

I've learned, again, that God provides an extra measure of grace right when I need it....and He always infuses me with extra energy to tackle the next task....right when I thought I was tapped out.

Wow. It's been an interesting 5 weeks since I started my long term job. A lot of teachers ask me how things are going....and my answer is always the same. "Some days are better than others, but I wouldn't trade my opportunity for anything." I love what I'm doing. It's funny, though. I'm tired....but that tired doesn't show itself until late at night. And every morning when I get up....I can't wait to get back to the school and see the kids.

Thank you, Lord for this. It's so great!

This last week the kids have testing...and it's been tough on both the students and the teachers. The state uses the results of the tests to determine which schools and which school systems are meeting the minimum standards set by the government. The results of these tests are basically the 'report card' for the teachers, the schools and the school system. We finished yesterday....and it was a relief. The hardest test, according to the kids, was Social Studies. Even my own personal 6th grader said it was hard, so it will be interesting to see how they do.

4 weeks of school left. Unbelievable!

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I'm glad the school thing is working out so well for you, Jennifer. I never had any doubt that you'd succeed with flying colors. Those children are lucky to have a teacher who cares. Keep it up, and keep us posted. :-)