Thursday, April 10, 2008

Our Day at Augusta National


I so enjoy watching sports....both in person and on TV. Baseball, basketball, football.....Heck, I'll even watch a hockey game every now and then. Golf is one of my favorite sports to watch. It's something I know I'll never be able to do. Hit a baseball...no problem. Shoot some hoops....yep, I can do that. I can even throw and catch a football. But golf. Nope, I'm no good. I've tried it and I can't do it. Which is why I'm so fascinated with what these men (and women) can do with a golf club and a little white, dimpled ball.

My parents live in Oklahoma City. My father plays golf three times a week, and TiVo's golf tournaments so he can both play one of his favorite sports and watch the rounds of golf on TV without missing out on anything. I've even called him after the end of the tournament to talk about Tiger or Phil and he'll say...."Don't tell me. I haven't watched it yet!"

So, when my mom called me a couple of months ago to tell me that she and my dad had BOTH won the opportunity to purchase four tickets to the Wednesday practice round and Par 3 Contest at Augusta National, I was pretty excited. They had 8 tickets between them....so, Joe and I got to go.

And it was wonderful. Beautiful green grass. Immaculate fairways and greens. Amazing scenery. Gorgeous azalea and camelia bushes. I was awed by the beauty of the grounds. And was reminded that all of it came from the Lord. God created such awesome wonder. And we were able to enjoy it yesterday. The sun was shining. A slight breeze. Conditions were ideal for golf. And for hanging out with family and friends.

We got to see Phil, Fred, Nick, and Tripp. We even saw Jack, Arnie and Gary....that was a highlight. No Tiger, though. He didn't play in the Par 3, but it was a great day nonetheless. I'll post pictures once I get them off my camera.

Spring Break is now coming to an end. Just a couple more days of no alarm clock, then it's back to reality and state testing that begins next week.

It's been a great few days, too. We've cleaned up the house...made piles of things to donate...and had a nice time with my parents. Joe is now in Norfolk for the weekend and my parents are on their way back to OKC.
God is good.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I've started watching golf myself lately Jennifer and am sometimes amazed at what those golfers can do..sounds like you had a great opportunity..I would have jumped at it too. I'm glad you had fun!