Thursday, September 28, 2006

The love of a son for his mother


Joshua. Our third son. Our sensitive child. Our most emotional as well as sentimental son. Has a beautiful smile. Is a giver of great hugs. Is the one that will keep me on my knees more than the others.

Tonight, as we were driving home, Joshua, after I told the children that it was 'straight to bed' when we got home, told me he still had homework he needed to finish. That figures.

Ok. No biggie. He has two pages in his English workbook to do and in my opinion, it shouldn't have taken that long. Finally, at 10:00 tonight, he finishes. I send him upstairs to get into bed while I finish watching the half-inning of baseball I was intrigued by. I walk into his room to find him in bed, his light off and Josh asleep. I lean over him, give him two kisses on the cheek, whisper 'I love you' into his ear and give him one more kiss.

As I'm walking out of his room I hear a 'Mmmmm.' I turn around and see his arm sticking out from his covers, reaching for me. Smiling, I walk to his bedside and lean down to love on him. Then he says one of the sweetest things I've heard as a mom.....He says, "I almost fell asleep without giving you a hug goodnight."

Wow. What a statement. He let me know in 10 short words that his day wouldn't be complete unless he ended it by hugging his mom. I leaned down again, gave him another kiss and said, "I love you, Josh."

"I love you too, mom."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are no words to describe the feeling when your kids say that to you. We are truly blessed. Have a great day! Beth

Anonymous said...

Jennifer...BOOOO HOOOO! How sweet! I read this first thing this morning, but had to get ready for work. I've tried to leave 3 notes, but it keeps booting me out! Anyway, of course, I don't have kids of my own, but I am OFTEN touched and brought to tears by both of my nieces' sweetness at times myself. Children really don't know what a blessing they are to us when they say and do sweet stuff like that, do they?

Anonymous said...

How precious! My teenager grunts something that resembles an "I love you too" but it is not recognizable to the human ear! Pray he keeps that sweet and tender spirit!

Julie said...

A hug from a son is so precious. Mine tries to hug and pick me up. I hope he has a strong back!! ( :

The most special things we all have are the things that the world does not give - therefore cannot take away. I pray that we all see that for what it is. Thanks for the sweet reminder~

JC

muddy hands said...

beautiful. absoulutely beautiful. you amaze me lady. you pull all this off on your own and i have never not seen you smilin'. This reminds me of my own senstitive one and how thankful I am to have him. your such a great mom. may the Lord continue to bless and keep you.