Saturday, June 07, 2008

An absolute thrill....

I love baseball.

Where else can you relax, enjoy friends and family, drink a Sprite, eat a hot dog, get some sun, watch a game, enjoy family some more, relax some more, and just have fun.

At a baseball game.

There is something for everyone. Food. Sun. Cold Drinks. Fun. Good Baseball. And family.

Tonight, Josh, Julia and I went to Turner Field to watch my Phillies play the Braves...and it was a blast. Great baseball game....and, the Phillies won. But the highlight for me happened before any player took the field....and before we found our seats.

We parked the car. Listened to the Belmont Stakes on the radio. Then headed to the Ted. We walked into our usual gate, just behind home plate and began to navigate the many flights of stairs to the 400 Level.

As we got to the Press Level, I looked to my left....and my heart literally jumped in my chest. I couldn't believe who was standing off to the side. He was talking to another family, so I grabbed my camera and began shooting. A huge smile flashed across my face....and Josh and Julia started asking me 'who is that?'

Oh, my dear children. A legend.

That's who.

I told them I would fill them in on more details later, but for now....I wanted a picture of him....with my kids.

He looked up at me and smiled. I asked if I could take a picture of him with my kids. He said, "Sure." And opened his arms to welcome them to him. I heard him ask their names.....Julia answered for both of them. He then began engaging them in conversation, using their names several times. I was impressed. And thrilled.

The kids......smiled.

I took a couple of shots....then thanked him profusely. As Josh and Julia were walking back up the stairs, he called out to Josh, who was wearing a Ryan Howard T-shirt. "Josh....is he going to hit a home run tonight?" Josh looked back and said...."Yep."

It was so great.



Once we got to our seats, I was able to tell Josh and Julia that the man they just stood next to was Harry Kalas...the legendary voice of the Phillies. He has been broadcasting Phillies games.....it seems, forever.

I then told them that he was in the Baseball Hall of Fame....as a broadcaster. And Josh thought that was the coolest. In the car on the way home, he said...."I can't believe I had my picture taken with a Hall of Famer."

How precious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered if you were at the game yesterday - I was even going to call you during the game. SOOOO cool that you got to meet the voice of the Phillies!! Glad you had a great time. Did you have your jersey on also? We were looking for you!

Aunt Janice

Dianne said...

Isn't that great, Jennifer?? I am thrilled for you, but must admit that if he had walked up to me on the street and introduced himself, I would have had no idea who he was! Pretty sad, huh? That is a cool story though, I must admit.