Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Golf, a Tiger, and a prayer......

I'm a big sports fan. Baseball. College football. College basketball. And golf.

Yes, I said golf. I will admit, though, the biggest reason I watch golf is a man named Tiger Woods. He blew onto the scene 12 years ago and has quickly risen to become, arguably, the greatest golfer ever to play the game. It is fascinating to me what he can do with that little, white, dimpled ball.



When Tiger is playing.....I'm watching. And I watched this last weekend...and Monday...as Tiger won the U.S. Open...putting him 4 shy of tying the all-time Majors record of 18 set by the Golden Bear, Jack Nicklaus. It was a wonderful weekend of golf. Amazing golf shots. Comeback after comeback and the greatest player to ever play......won. Again.

But today the news came down that Tiger is needing surgery on his already surgically repaired left knee...and he's out for the remainder of the 2008 season. I must admit, I'm disappointed. Not getting to watch him play is a definite let-down, but the bigger let-down for me has far greater, eternal ramifications.

Because Tiger....as far as I know....is not a Christian. Here is a man....recognized world-wide more than any other figure...either sports or otherwise, wealthy beyond imagination, and gifted more than most of us put together.....doomed to eternal damnation, because he has never acknowledged Jesus as his Lord and Savior.

And that, my friends, saddens me more than not getting to see him play. I have decided, though, that in my quiet time every morning, I am going to pray for Tiger Woods. No, I will never meet him. I will never get to shake his hand or have an opportunity to witness to him. But I can pray. And pray, I will do. I am going to pray that someone walks into his life...whether a doctor, a physical therapist, even a member of his official fan club....and shares with him the saving love of Jesus.

Can you imagine the impact he could have on this world....if he knew the Lord?

Oh, Lord. Hear my prayer.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

That's awesome, Jennifer! We should all be so conscientious to pray for whoever God puts on our heart whether we know them or not...