Sunday, February 10, 2008

What a day...

You all know how much I love my Sundays. I so love going to church....to worship my Lord and to study His Word. I love the songs, the preaching and the fellowship. It's my favorite day of the week. And today was no different from any other Sunday....or so I thought.

It started off like any other Sunday. Only slightly differently. Today was the first Sunday, Dr. Minnix...our transitional preacher until we find a new pastor....was in the pulpit. And he delivered a powerful message on the heart. How we need to guard our heart and protect it from not only the devil and the world, but also from ourselves. How we need to lock it up and keep it safe from evil desires and thoughts. It was a wonderful reminder. The Choir sang one of my favorite songs...."Before the Throne of God Above" and Rick, Julie and Carla led in worship with a song called 'I Bow Down.' It was truly a worshipful experience for me.

After Sunday School, we headed to a chinese restaurant to eat and then headed home.

I love being home. My home is place of refuge for me....a place of safety and of security. A place of comfort and of rest.....which is another reason I love Sundays. This is the only time I get to sit down and close my eyes for a bit. I don't get to do this every Sunday, but today I got to. But only for a couple of minutes.

As I laid on my bed, I heard the kids playing basketball outside...laughing and playing and having a wonderful time. Then they stopped and started riding their bikes. The next thing I knew, a blood curling scream came from the driveway....and resonated through the house. Joe jumped out of his chair in his office and went to find out what happened, only he went the wrong direction. He went out the front door looking for the source of the scream.....The screaming child went through the basement and came straight to our room, where I was laying down. It was 12:30.

It was Josh. Our precious 10-year old boy. Clutching his arm and crying. He wasn't hysterical, but it was clear he was in a lot of pain. He only said one thing. "I broke my wrist. I broke my wrist. I know it's broken." My first thought was that he was over-reacting. That he had just jammed it. But once we looked at it...we weren't so sure it was just jammed. Here's what happened...

Josh had decided to ride his bike in the backyard...pretending he was on the trails. He went down one of the slopes toward the driveway and tried to navigate his bike between Joe's car and the basketball goal. The ground was apparently just wet enough to cause the bike to shift beneath him just as he got to the car. He hit his head, (he has a black eye), as well as his hand....causing it to roll upward....breaking his wrist. Thankfully, though, the break was not near his growth plates. It was more his lower forearm. It shouldn't cause any problems for him, unless you count his inability to play baseball and the drums.

His wrist wasn't grossly out of place, but it did begin to swell and it didn't look quite right. So, two minutes later, Joe, Josh, Julia and I were in the car headed to the ER. We didn't have to wait too terribly long....if you're talking ER standards. By 3:30, the X-Rays had proven what Josh had said. His wrist was broken, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. It wasn't snapped....more like cracked. He was put in a splint and we were sent on our way. The next step is to get with his pediatrician and then the orthopedist for his permanent cast....sometime this week.

He was such a trooper. After the initial shock of pain, he was OK. The only other time he cried was in the car on the way to the hospital when he realized he was going to have a difficult time in drum lessons and in band. Even with both the doctor and X-Ray tech poking and prodding, he took it like a man. I was proud of him.

We got home right at 4:15...in time to change clothes and hustle to church. The kids were about 25 minutes late for Bible Drill and Choir, but it's understandable. Prayerfully, Josh will sleep through the night and will be OK in school tomorrow.

So there you have it. Our Sunday. My favorite day of the week. Spent first at church, then in the Emergency Room, then at church again. Who could ask for anything more?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jenn, I am so sorry to hear about little man's arm! Wow! You went through all that and still made it back to church! And here I was, sitting at home watching church trying to fellowship through the TBN, due to the advise of the lawyer to lay low for a bit. He wants to ensure my safety, I know, but this is getting out of hand! Anyways, give Josh a hug for me and tell him I am praying for a perfect healing on his arm! Love you, sis!