Sunday, August 06, 2006

Adventures at Krystal


I am a priss and a snob. I know it. I claim it. I am a priss and a snob. I believe that the county I live in is better than anyone else's. I believe my kids schools are the best. I don't like getting my fingers messy when I eat. I don't like my hair messed up and I don't like my face being touched. It's just me.

Because of this, I have never eaten at Krystal. I have also never even had the desire to eat at Krystal. Krystal just seems so.............trashy. So............cheap. So..............I don't know......So........not me. Am I judging a book by its cover? You bet I am. But that's just me. Love me or hate me for it? Ok.....I am what I am. Saturday night, the Lord decided He would show me a thing or two about myself and being the willing participant that I am, I went along for the ride.

On the way home from White Water on Friday, we noticed that my right rear tire was beginning to go flat. No worries. I would just take the car to NTB on Saturday and get it taken care of. So, on Saturday as we were leaving the house, I noticed something very strange about the way the car drove. It was rocking so violently from side to side, it was as if I was running over something. And it kinda freaked me out. I got out of the car and sure enough.....the tire was completely flat now and it was just beginning to storm. So, we continued on our way to the NTB. It didn't take me long to learn that I wasn't able to drive more than 20 miles per hour without the car shimmying and shaking in an almost scary manner. And the fact that it was raining so hard it was almost a monsoon didn't help either. With hazard blinkers on, I prayed our way through the downpour to the NTB......probably a 7 + mile trip. We got 3/4 of the way there when I heard some strange goings-on from the tire area. I called back to Trey....."Look behind you and see if there are pieces of tire flying up from the car." Trey's response....."Yes, mommy. There is."

Fabulous. Had the tire not begun to shred I would have kept driving, but since I knew I was in danger of some serious rim damage, I pulled off Hwy. 85 into the nearest parking lot.

The Krystal parking lot.

We sat while the rain came down.....And the thunder pounded and the lightning struck. The lightning struck so closely there was no...and I mean NO wait for the thunder. There were more simultaneous flash/bams than I cared to count. And the Bradford Pear right next to where we were parked just decided it wanted to lay down right where it stood. The kids were scared. I was awed. God's glory and power were in full display at 4:00 yesterday afternoon. I got out of the car to assess the damage......if the tire wasn't too bad, I would consider making our way to the shop. We were so close I could almost see the building. But sure enough. It was bad. And the rain was coming down so hard and the wind was whipping so strongly, the umbrella was flipped inside out and I looked like I'd gone out without one to begin with. I went through my cell phone to see who I could call to come help. Mark was at a wedding. Tommy was in Macon. Joe B. didn't answer his phone.......Now what? Then it dawned on me.............

The little blue button. "Thank you for calling Onstar, Mrs. PV....How can I help you?" It was like a voice from Heaven. It was a beautiful thing. I told them my plight and they assured me they would send Roadside Assistance out to help us as soon as they could. A great sigh of relief washed over me and the kids. The storm continued, but the anxiety began to dwindle. Suddenly from the back of the car came a voice....."I'm hungry." "Well, guys we really can't go anywhere. We need to wait here until the tire gets changed and then we'll grab dinner." "But mom.....we can eat at Krystal."

Huh? Krystal? I don't think so. "C'mon, Mom....we're hungry." Feeling like I was in the twilight zone, I sent Daniel in to get some Krystals. Out he came with 5. And he only spent $4. I'm not sure what it is.....but something about spending $4 for 5 little burgers seems disturbing to me. The kids each took one. I did not. And the response was unanimous......."Mom, these are best burgers EVER." "Mom, I can't believe you've never taken us to Krystal before. These are awesome." "Mom, we need to add this to the 'Great Restaurant' list." Ok, now I draw the line.....Krystal? A restaurant? Puhleeaze!!! I went ahead and ate my little burger, too and I will admit it was better than I expected it to be. Next, the kids decided they were thirsty too and since we couldn't go anywhere we might as well go inside and eat for real. Now, I know I've gone off the deep end. We head inside. Everyone orders and we sit down with our food. On one wall is a sign that says, "Krystal Lovers Hall of Fame." Trey looks at me and says, "They need to add me to that list." What a goober. We finish eating and head back to the car. The call came in telling me that it would be at least another 30 minutes before Roadside Assistance would get to us. At the same time, a very large black pickup truck pulls up beside me. And out walks our angel. Brad. The man that built our house was driving by, saw the kids near the car and then realized what had happened. He got out and asked one question...."You want me to do it?" YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

It was wonderful. I called OnStar back and cancelled our request for assistance. And within a few minutes Brad and his boys had our tire changed.

God showed His awesomeness once again....not only in the power of the storm, but in sending just the right person to help us as well as providing us with a good meal. It was a good couple of hours.

Now the kids are asking for Krystal for every meal.

Hmmmmm, let me think about that one...................No.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krystal rocks! I'm a big Krsytal fan. Unfortunately, with age comes digestive issues and we don't always get along but I still love 'em! Beth

Tracey said...

Jennifer! Never had Krystal before? That is unbelievable! Krystal burgers are awesome! We love Krystal! Too bad they can't make fries like McDonalds...their fries are terrible. Glad you guys are okay and the tire is fixed!

Dianne said...

Count me in on the Krystal side too! I have loved them since I was a child MAN....they are GREAT! Who knows Jennifer...you came around about the cat deal...we may win you over to Krystals yet! :-)

Julie said...

Ok - I like them too...in the drive thru. It just does not seem like the kinda place you park and go IN to eat. This may just be me. I also do not eat with my fingers - I thought I was the only one of those.

I have actually never known anyone to claim being a priss and a snob..it was so funny I was laughing out loud!!

Your blogs are funny. ( :

Missed you today - take care of the voice.....

Cantini #3 said...

Excuse me, Jules.....but how do we eat chips and salsa????? With our little fingers and hands ......

Not so fond of Krystals myself. I've gotten their "regular" sized burger before.....

TOM said...

Must say that Krystals are a very tasty treat! Add cheese, mayo and ketchup and we are in business. They are better when eating them at odd times such as 11pm and 2am....Such fond, college memories....
Just in case you are wanting to know they are 1 Weight Watcher Points each.
Glad all worked out well with the tire!
RR

Allycat said...

You are a hoot! I can't believe you had never had a Krystal!! I would agree that it is more a get 'em and go kind of place. Never know what kind of characters you might see at Krystals. Sounds like you might even see the Red Ranger.