Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Sunsations!!

Music has been a big part of my life since I was a little girl. I remember singing with my mom's choir when I was in elementary school. I sang in every choir and ensemble that was available to me all the way through my college years. I love to sing and I love music.

So when Joe and I got married I prayed that that same love would pass on to our children...whether it was through singing or an instrument. God answered my prayer! Our oldest, Daniel, plays the french horn and takes piano lessons. He also sings in the Middle school choir at church. Trey plays the piano and will be starting the saxophone after Christmas. He sings in the Childrens' Choir at church. Julia just began taking piano lessons this fall. She loves to sing and is very expressive when she does, prompting many people to tell me she is a chip off the old block, so to speak.

Which leaves Josh. Josh didn't seem to have the same love for music the other kids did. He didn't enjoy the few months of piano that he took and singing hasn't been that important to him. I wanted to be a little disappointed when I realized that Joshua didn't seem to be as gifted as the others in music, but then I'm reminded at how special each of my children is. Each of them has their own unique style.....their own unique gift......their own unique talents. To try and mold them into my vision for them is nothing short of shallow and just plain selfish on my part.

So when Josh busted through the door after school today and made the announcement he made, I was surprised. "I made Chorus!" Chorus. Wow. The 4th and 5th grade Sunsations, as they are known, is a 'by audition only' singing team. Joshua had to try out and had to have a perfect score in order to be on the Chorus. He did it and he made it.

He seemed very proud of himself and very excited that he made it. I am thrilled, obviously. This is our third year with at least one boy as a member of the Sunsations. Daniel and Trey both were last year, Daniel the year before and now Joshua this year. Trey decided he didn't want to try out this year. He wanted to focus on band. Julia's time will come when she hits 4th grade and rest assured....she will try out.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Go Josh! I am glad he was able to surprise you with that little tidbit of info today...things that are totally unexpected like that are just plain fun to find out. He obviously has talent if he got a perfect score!

terrible speller said...

congrats Josh!