Friday, June 23, 2006

Adventures in bat-catching....

Oh yes....I said bat-catching.

We went to the pool today for the first time in a week and it was wonderful. The children had a great time swimming and I had a great time sunning. I even wore my bikini, but that's another story.

When we got home, we saw a red truck in the driveway. We have a friend who mows our lawn for us and today was the day he came. We went into the house while he began edging the driveway. A couple of the kids went upstairs to take showers....I went to our room to check the news and email. I was sitting on my couch and reached around my laptop to get the remote. Much to my surprise.....was this creature. This brown thing laying on the remote.

I freaked. Ok....I REALLY freaked. I looked it to make sure it wasn't some rubber toy my kids had left in my room, then I realized my kids don't own a rubber toy that looks like a bat. I freaked again and hustled out of my room.

My children heard me and came running. I told them what happened and they huddled behind me as we went into the office to see if it was still on the ottoman. It wasn't. So, we went around the other direction and peaked into the room. There it was on the floor....flopping around. With its wings open, it is close to 8 inches across....no small thing. We ran outside. Yuck!!

Double Yuck!!!

I asked Josh to go get our friend who was mowing the lawn to come and get rid of our guest. He came in and I told him where our new 'friend' was, but lo and behold.....he was no longer on our bedroom floor. He was gone!!! Alex walked around our bedroom, even going into the bathroom and closet (now that's a scary thought) looking for batman, but he was nowhere to be found.

As I sit here, I am still covered in goose bumps. The thought of that disgusting thing in my house...possibly even still in this bedroom totally creeps me out. How can I rest tonight knowing that 'thing' is still out there.

I even tried to take comfort in the fact that this bat is one of God's creatures.

It didn't work.

I will update this developing story as new facts become available. Stay tuned.

No comments: