Thursday, July 06, 2006

Back in the saddle again.........

After spending a few days in Oklahoma with my parents, we're home. We had a wonderful time, as usual, hanging out, going to the zoo and eating really good Mexican food. (One of my favorites things to do!) The Mexican food at Chelino's is so good that my children actually agree to eat there. In fact, my oldest even said........."That place we always go to....downtown? I love that place." I've never heard a sweeter thing come from Daniel........There may be hope for my kids after all.

On Sunday, the 2nd, our church held our annual Celebrate America program featuring the Choir, Orchestra, Drama and children's choir and I had the privilege of having a part in it. The Ensemble that I sing with was given the lead in the song Find us Faithful.....the words of which are my prayer all of the time. "Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful. May the fire of our devotion light their way. May the footprints that we leave lead them to believe and the lives we live inspire them to obey."

When I look into the eyes of my children, I realize that I have a tremendous responsibility, not only to raise them to become responsible, level-headed and honest adults, but in the love and admonition of the Lord. I am to prepare them, not only for being parents themselves, but for passing along, to their children, the Faith that I so dearly hold on to. I am to raise them, not only to discern right from wrong, but to stand up for the cause of Christ and to reach those around them for Jesus.

What an awesome, God-sized responsibility!!

I was privileged to have been raised in a Christian home. My parents took my brothers and me to church every Sunday morning, every Sunday night and every Wednesday night. We rarely missed. My parents spent a great deal of time passing the faith along to us....just as their parents did to them......and now I am charged with the same task with my kids. I don't want to be the generation that broke the cycle of loving, fearing and knowing Jesus. And I can sit here now and say....all four of my kids have accepted Jesus as their Savior and have been baptized. Praise the Lord.

Does that mean they don't argue, fuss and fight? Of course not. Does that mean my daughter doesn't use a whole lot of sass when addressing me? Nope. It doesn't. But as a parent, our jobs are never 'done.' We don't ever reach the pinnacle of parenting. There is always work to be done. Exhausting? Yes. But Praise God for "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Thank the Lord for "My God shall supply all my need according to His riches in glory." Hallelujah for "My grace is sufficient for thee....."

Being a mother is truly the most difficult 'job' in the world. But I dare you to show me anything that brings greater joy, greater blessing and greater honor. It's not possible.

What a privilege it is to be called Mom by my children.

What a honor it is be called Child by my Heavenly Father!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,...Glad to see you had fun in OK...the kids look adorable...tell them I said hi! hope you are doing well...see you in september? ~Kim~