Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Promises, Promises

I knew resigning from my position at the church was a God-ordained decision. What I didn't know was how quickly it would become so obvious.

Just like it is with most families, my kids keep me pretty busy. Alot of it, I will admit, is my own doing. I chose to put them in karate when Joe was on Active Duty the first time. I wanted them to have a positive male role model in their lives and honestly, Mr. Adam is more of a positive influence than I could have ever hoped for. He encourages the children. He believes in them. He lives and works so my kids, and all of the kids he teaches, will succeed. I chose to have the kids take piano lessons. For some it's a joy and something to look forward to. For others, it wasn't their thing and that's OK. I wanted them all to experience it for a time.

One thing we haven't gotten involved in is organized sports. Because karate can take 3-4 of our nights each week, I didn't see how we could add something else. Especially since we're at church on Wednesday and Thursday nights. But the kids have always asked. Trey has wanted to play baseball. Daniel soccer. Josh football. We told the children that once karate was completed........once they earn their black belt, they can begin the next sport. Daniel and Trey earned their belt in May. Josh will be testing for his in November and should pass.

If there is one thing that my children expect, it's for us to keep our word. If we make a promise, we need to keep it. And promising to sign them up for their favorite sport was no different. Joshua's football 'career' began this week. He's had tryouts every night and it's evident by watching the boys practice who has been playing for a year or two and who is a first-timer. But that hasn't stopped Josh from jumping right in and doing what he's asked to do. And he has had a ball. Every night this week, he has made the same comment to me, "Mom, thank you for signing me up for football."

He has melted my heart with his gratitude.

We will sign Trey up for baseball at the end of August. I will be real curious how practice days and times jive with what we are already involved in. I have already come to the conclusion that I may have to give up my role with Celebrate Recovery. It's an awesome ministry, but not one I can give enough to and still be and do what my kids need.

We will get a phone call on Saturday from Josh's new football coach. There are 3 teams that will be drafting players this weekend and we'll find out then which team Josh is on. It is a beautiful thing to see true joy in my child. And I thank my God that He prompted me, reminded me, smacked me around, so I would understand that my ministry is my family. This has been an awesome summer and one I wouldn't trade for anything.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

I am fully convinced that any positive time invested in a child's life is always a good choice. I'm glad you've had such a great summer with yours.

Tracey said...

Jennifer, how sweet! I think sometimes we can say "yes" too many times to things at church and be so busy "doing" that our own children slip right through the cracks. We have never missed a baseball game or band performance ever since Zack has been involved in those activities. I'm amazed at how many parents aren't there. You can never go back and un-do all the times you weren't there...so more power to ya sista! You're doing the right thing!

Cantini #3 said...

You know how I feel about this one....your family is first. They will always remember that you put them first. You are being a good example and role model for them......

Yout summer is about to end with a bang though.....my 2 kids and your 4....should be fun. Thanks for helping me out....you're a true friend!

Allycat said...

What a wonderful thing it is when we hear God's call in our life and follow his plan. There's lots of joy and the weight of the world comes off our shoulders. I wish I had a picture of you in your chair covered with cats like Monday night. You looked so relaxed and happy!

Love ya sister.